- About Cordova
- Downloadable Files
The Municipality of Cordova is a 3rd class municipality with a total income of 171,154,284.20 (in 2017) and an Internal Revenue Allotment (IRA) share of P93,451,416.99 (in 2016). The territorial jurisdiction of the Municipality of Cordova is comprised of some 956 hectares of land mass and more or less 48.75 hectares of islets. It consists of eleven (11) coastal barangays (Gabi, Alegria, Catarman, Poblacion, Dapitan, Day-as, Buagsong, Bangbang, Pilipog, Ibabao and San Miguel), one inland barangay (Cogon), and one island barangay (Gilutongan). It has political and administrative jurisdiction over the islets of Nalusuan, Shell, Tongo and Lava.
Cordova used to be a part of Municipality of Opon (now Lapu-Lapu City) until it became a town on January 1, 1913 by virtue of Orden Ejecutiva signed by then Governor General Newton Gilbert dated December 17, 1912.
Brief Historical Background
“Cordova” is not the original name of the territory it presently represents, nor even the Spanish name “Cordoba”. Its territory comprises the original barrios (“balangays” in Cebuano) of Gabi, Day-as, and Pilipul (actually Pilipog) – all of which are located in the southeastern tip of Mactan Island (see Fig. 1) although its foreshore and fishing grounds cover the whole southern area of Mactan Island.
The town of Cordova was once a barangay of the Municipality of Opon, which was the name of Lapu-Lapu City before the approval of a legislative act for a change of name. The natives of Cordova called their town Day-as, a legendary acronym referring to settlements. In 1883 the residents of Day-as, in a manifesto, brought their intention to the Spanish authorities, which was then running the civil government in the country that they wanted to separate Day-as from the Municipality of Opon. Making their demands strong, emissaries were sent to Spain carrying their petition for separation. After some years of waiting. Their demands were granted and in the year 1884, the first set of local officials was then selected to run the municipal government of the town. A well-known local leader in the town – one Benedicto Wahing, was named Capitan or Mayor of the new town.
As the years go by, civil authorities were carried out smoothly by the chosen leaders. The peaceful and uninterrupted struggle to live by the people progresses, changing leaders after leaders every time one was incapable due to sickness or death.
Until finally the Republic was born – the Philippines was granted independence by the United States of America after the latter task the reign of sovereignty from the Spanish government in a treaty that was concluded in Paris, the Filipino people became sovereign now in their own lands. Cordova changed their leaders by electoral mandate exercised through the right of suffrage and installed elected local officials.
The last set of Cordova’s local officials in 1898 prior to its municipality status were Cecilio Alvarez, the Capitan Municipal; Florentino Tiro, juez de paz; Benita Jumao-as, maestro de niñas; and Magdalino Francisco, maestro de niños.
In April 21, 1902, Martin Jumao-as, was sent as representative of Cordova to the provincial assembly and in the next meeting in January 18, 1903, Bernardo Nuñez represented Cordova. Cordova regained its municipal status in 1913 through the efforts of Bernardo Nuñez. He headed the petition to the Philippine Assembly wherein Sergio Osmeña, Sr. w1as the Speaker. In that year Bernardo Nuñez was elected Municipal President and Lucas Jumao-as as the Vice President.
Through the years, Cordova with its rocky soil formation struggled and gradually progressed to establish a political and economic name.